The Sunday Suleiman Memorial Scholarship Fund was established to provide tuition support to first and second-year students in any field of study
Alhamdulillah! I am pleased to announce the last of three pilot initiatives, a memorial need-based scholarship fund with a pilot endowment of Four Hundred Thousand Naira (₦400,000).
The memorial need-based scholarships are named in honor of the memories of my two brothers, Muhammad Usman Barau (d. 2010) and Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi, popularly known as Marshal (d. 2017), and my two lecturers at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Dr. Sunday Suleiman (d. 2013) and Mallam Abdullahi Tanko Umaru (d. 2022).
These scholarships were established to provide tuition support to first and second-year students in any field of the humanities and social sciences at any tertiary institution within the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria. Except for state bursaries, most undergraduate scholarships in Nigeria are often STEM-focused.
Eligibility For Sunday Suleiman Memorial Scholarship Fund
It is for this reason that the memorial need-based scholarships are limited to first and second-year humanities and social sciences students.
There is no minimum CGPA requirement to apply for the scholarships. Students who may have struggled academically are especially encouraged to apply. The ₦100,000 fund for each scholarship will be paid directly to the recipient’s institution and can be used to cover their tuition fee.
The Sunday Suleiman Memorial Scholarship Fund is named in honor of my teacher, Dr. Sunday Suleiman. Dr. Suleiman was a Lecturer at the Department of Political Science and International Studies and the Secretary of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria at the time of his tragic death.
Dr. Suleiman approached research and teaching with a deep passion and devotion. He was a disciplined teacher who valued meritocracy and academic excellence. Dr. Suleiman was passionate about helping others achieve their highest potential.
As an educator, part of his life mission was to assist students who needed help academically and financially. I was one of the beneficiaries of his “exam stipend,” which he provided at the end of each semester to support students.
He unexpectedly passed on 18 November 2013. In honor of his memory, the Sunday Suleiman Memorial Scholarship Fund will support indigent students who exemplify Dr. Suleiman’s legacy.
Scholarship Criteria For Sunday Suleiman Memorial Scholarship Fund
To be eligible for the Memorial Need-Based Scholarships, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a first or second-year student at any tertiary institution
- Be enrolled in any field of humanities and social sciences (Non-STEM)
Write a response to three essay questions:
- What are your academic and career goals and how have your friends and family influenced and inspired them? (500 words maximum)
- What does “leaving a good legacy behind” mean to you? (500 words maximum)
- Describe a problem you have solved or a problem you would like to solve. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution (500 words maximum).
PLEASE DO NOT EXCEED THE WORD LIMIT.
- There is no minimum CGPA requirement to apply for this Scholarship.
- Students who may have struggled academically are especially encouraged to apply.
- The N100,000 fund will be paid directly to the recipient’s institution and can be used to cover their tuition fee.
- You can apply via this link: https://bit.ly/Memorial-Need-Based-Scholarships For further inquiries, please send an email to Abdulbasit Kassim at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit the required materials on or before 5 February 2024.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 5 March 2024.
If you’ve found this article useful, please utilize the share icons below to share with your family, friends and loved ones. For any additional inquiries about this content, feel free to reach out via our Contact Us page.