The Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi Memorial Scholarship Fund was established to provide tuition support to first and second-year students in any field of study.
Alhamdulillah! I am pleased to announce the last of three pilot initiatives, a memorial need-based scholarship fund with a pilot endowment of Four Hundred Thousand Naira (₦400,000).
The memorial need-based scholarships are named in honor of the memories of my two brothers, Muhammad Usman Barau (d. 2010) and Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi, popularly known as Marshal (d. 2017), and my two lecturers at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Dr. Sunday Suleiman (d. 2013) and Mallam Abdullahi Tanko Umaru (d. 2022).
Eligibility For Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi Memorial Scholarship Fund
These scholarships were established to provide tuition support to first and second-year students in any field of the humanities and social sciences at any tertiary institution within the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria.
Except for state bursaries, most undergraduate scholarships in Nigeria are often STEM-focused. It is for this reason that the memorial need-based scholarships are limited to first and second-year humanities and social sciences students.
There is no minimum CGPA requirement to apply for the scholarships. Students who may have struggled academically are especially encouraged to apply. The ₦100,000 fund for each scholarship will be paid directly to the recipient’s institution and can be used to cover their tuition fee.
The Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi Memorial Scholarship Fund honors the legacy of my friend and brother, Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi (popularly known as Marshal). Marshal was born on 24 January 1987. He attended St. Murumba College, Jos. He completed his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Political Science at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
Through weekly tutorials, workshops, and other academic activities, Marshal dedicated a great deal of his energy to mentoring, supporting, and sharing educational resources that augmented the research competencies, writing skills, and scholarly enthusiasm of undergraduate students. Courageous and ingenious, driven and resolute, funny and charming, yet loving and kind all at once, Marshal will be remembered for his authenticity, kindness, and a life dedicated to learning and willingness to help others.
Marshal was fiercely intelligent. Although he was a year ahead of me at ABU Zaria, I was one of his reading partners. He inspired all who knew him with his personality, drive, enormous curiosity about the world, how it worked, and empathy for those in need. Marshal’s premature death was tragic. He died on 5 January 2017, at the age of 29, as a result of a ghastly motor accident on the Abuja-Lokoja Road. In honor of his memory, the Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi Memorial Scholarship Fund will support indigent students who exemplify Marshal’s legacy.
Requirement For Abdulwasiu Olorunfemi Omojarabi Memorial Scholarship
To be eligible for the Memorial Need-Based Scholarships, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a first or second-year student at any tertiary institution
- Be enrolled in any field of humanities and social sciences (Non-STEM)
Write a response to three essay questions:
- What are your academic and career goals and how have your friends and family influenced and inspired them? (500 words maximum)
- What does “leaving a good legacy behind” mean to you? (500 words maximum)
- Describe a problem you have solved or a problem you would like to solve. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution (500 words maximum).
PLEASE DO NOT EXCEED THE WORD LIMIT.
- There is no minimum CGPA requirement to apply for this Scholarship.
- Students who may have struggled academically are especially encouraged to apply.
- The N100,000 fund will be paid directly to the recipient’s institution and can be used to cover their tuition fee.
- You can apply via this link: https://bit.ly/Memorial-Need-Based-Scholarships For further inquiries, please send an email to Abdulbasit Kassim at email@example.com
- Submit the required materials on or before 5 February 2024.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 5 March 2024.
If you’ve found this article useful, please utilize the share icons below to share with your family, friends and loved ones. For any additional inquiries about this content, feel free to reach out via our Contact Us page.